Today’s weather was a high of 4 degrees with a wind chill of -5 degrees, which means absolutely dry and brutal conditions on my skin. Having just returned from a trip to the Dominican Republic my skin was unprepared for this change in climate.
Lucky for me, being born and raised in the northeast has prepared me well for long winter months.
Here are my Top 10 Tips for Moisturized Skin During the Winter
- Hydrate– I am the worst when it comes to remembering to drink water but it is imperative for moisturized skin!
- Exfoliate– Dry flaky skin is THE WORST. It is especially noticeable with makeup on and makes your complexion look dry and dull. Exfoliating allows for products to better absorb into your skin as well thus moisturizing deeper into the skin.
- Sheet Masks– I am OBSESSED with sheet masks for every skin ailment! I especially love them for when my skin is dried out. Two great sheet masks that are afforable is the Innisfree “It’s Real” Shea Butter Sheet Mask and Manefit Bling Bling Hydro Gel Mask. When left on for 10-20 minutes these babies give your skin an amazing glow.
- Sleeping Mask– These are different from sheet masks and are very similar to moisturizer. Sleeping masks are more common in Asia and are applied at night and washed off in the morning. I use the Lioele “V-Line” Sleeping Pack which creates water droplets that moisturize your skin deeply.
- Essence- What is essence you ask? It gives your face a HUGE amount of moisture and is perfect to spray or pat on before makeup. It can be in the form of a serum or a mist and can be used throughout the day. I use Missha First Treatment Essence and LOVE IT.
- Cool Showers- Nothing robs your skin of moisture more than hot water. Although it can be a bit difficult to go from the cold weather to a cool shower but even lukewarm is better than hot.
- Sleep– Your skin needs to rid itself of toxins and regenerate while you sleep. If you don’t get enough sleep enough you get a dull complexion that lacks the hydration needed for vibrant skin.
- Exercise– I don’t care if you ski, snowshoe or snowboard but get the blood flowing! Besides all the obvious other health benefits, your skin will thank you as well.
- Diet– Eating overly processed and sugary foods may not dry out your skin but they will make your skin appear dull.
- Tame the Extra Dry Areas- While some people might like to treat skin ailments with double the amount of moisturizer I recommend Aquaphor. This stuff is like Vaseline on steroids and is perfect as an overnight treatment for dry patchy areas. I like to use Aquaphor on my lips that are prone to cracking.